The UPDATE function allows you to change the contents of entry fields within an existing record. This procedure is as follows:
- Use the QUERY and FIND functions to locate the desired record.
- Press the UPDATE key <F4> to enter UPDATE mode.
- Change the contents of the data fields as required.
- Store the record by pressing the STORE key <F5>.
Goal: Change the Yearly Rate for Life Magazine from 17.00 to 18.50.
1. Enter QUERY mode and type life in the field labeled Magazine.
2. Press the FIND key <F3>. The record is displayed.
3. Press the UPDATE key <F4> and change the contents of the field labeled Yearly Rate to 18.50.
4. Press the STORE key <F5> to store the updated record.
Goal: Use the UPDATE key <F4> to restore the original contents of a record.
1. Locate the record for Life Magazine.
2. Press the UPDATE key <F4>.
3. Change the contents of the field labeled Title to Lively Magazine.
4. Change the contents of the field labeled Yearly Rate to 0.00.
DO NOT STORE THE RECORD.
The record should be displayed.
4. Restore the original contents of the record to the form by once again pressing the UPDATE key <F4>.
5. Before storing this record, change the contents of the field labeled Yearly Rate back to 17.00. It is important that this be done so that the records in the Demonstration Subscription System files are correct when this C/Base Tutorial Manual is used again.
6. Exit from UPDATE mode by storing the record. This is done by pressing the STORE key <F5>.
Pressing the UPDATE key while in UPDATE mode will restore the original contents of the record. Once the record is stored from UPDATE mode, the old contents of the record are lost.